There are forty-nine schools in the Archdiocese of Portland, Department of Catholic Schools. Thirty-nine elementary and middle schools and ten high schools.
Total student enrollment in the Archdiocese of Portland is 14,900 students. Based on total enrollment (2013-2014), the Archdiocese of Portland is the 9th largest school district in Oregon.
Christ the King Catholic School:
Elementary/Middle Schools (2013-2014):
Secondary Schools (2013-2014):
All Archdiocese of Portland Schools (2013-2014):
The Archbishop -
The Archbishop, as chief pastor of the Archdiocese, has the responsibility not only for the spiritual formation of the people, but also for every other factor that contributes to the development of the Catholic community. As authentic teacher in the Archdiocese, he articulates faith for the people of God and calls them to the imitation of Christ. As chief administrator of the Archdiocese, he oversees the good order of the teaching mission. The Archbishop is the enactor of all Archdiocesan policy and the ultimate decision-maker assisted and represented by the Department of Catholic Schools.
The Pastor -
The pastor, by direction of the Archbishop and Canon Law, is directly responsible for all parish endeavors. One such major endeavor is the parish school. The pastor can render service and leadership to the parish school by acting as a religious leader, community builder, and administrator, working together with the principal, faculty, parents, and other parishioners in a joint effort to advance the education of the children. He is also responsible for the hiring of the principal and the renewal or non-renewal of the principal’s employment agreement.
History of the Archdiocese of Portland -
THE ARCHDIOCESE OF PORTLAND IN OREGON is the second oldest Archdiocese in the United States. It follows only the Archdiocese of Baltimore, Maryland, which was founded in 1789. In 1996 the Archdiocese celebrated the Sesquicentennial (150th Anniversary) of its founding.
To understand the development of this area within the Pacific Northwest as it was first colonized by American men and women pioneers, most of whom were of European extraction and many of whom were Catholic, mention must be made of two key geographic features, both rivers -- the Columbia (the northern boundary of the state of Oregon) and the Willamette, which runs on an approximately north-south axis from Portland.
Exploring the Pacific coastline, American Captain Robert Gray discovered the mouth of the Columbia, which he christened for his vessel, in May of 1792. Gray's discovery of the river laid the groundwork for the United States claim to this territory. The first white settlement in Oregon took place under a party dispatched by the Pacific Fur Company who settled near the mouth of the Columbia in 1811, at a site they named "Astoria" in honor of German-born New Yorker,John Jacob Astor the founder of their company.
Further inland, the Columbia was recognized for its extreme importance to transportation and commerce by the British-based Hudson's Bay Company, who established a trading post and supply depot, known as Fort Vancouver, in 1824, which is incorporated within the city limits of present-day Vancouver, Washington. One of the key reasons Hudson's Bay Company settled at Fort Vancouver was to take advantage of the opportunity for fur trade within this area, in part because of the number of streams which were home to the indigenous beaver whose pelts were so highly marketable at the time.
The Chief Factor of the Hudson's Bay Company at For Vancouver, Dr. John McLoughlin(1784-1857), was a man of such tremendous importance to the future of our state, he earned the epithet, "Father of Oregon". As in many other areas his influence affected education: It was he who instigated the first school, which was begun at the Fort in 1832. Another aspect of Dr. McLoughlin's vision was that he personally sought to take advantage of the other major waterway, the Willamette River, by establishing a town site at its famous falls. Having staked a land claim there in 1829, Dr. McLoughlin named his town Oregon City when he plotted it in 1842.
As early as 1829, former Hudson's Bay Company fur traders of French Canadian Catholic origin began to settle along the Willamette River near Champoeg. Wishing to continue in their faith, they appealed to Canada for missionary priests to serve the sacramental and spiritual needs of their growing families, many of which were of mixed cultures because of intermarriage with Native American women. Although the Hudson's Bay Company would not originally allow missionary activity south of the Columbia, Dr. McLoughlin interceded. As a result, Canadian-born Rev. Francis Norbert Blanchet (1795-1883) and Rev. Modeste Demers were dispatched as missionary priests from eastern Canada. On January 6th 1839, Father Blanchet was able to offer the first Mass in the town he christened "St. Paul" in the humble log cabin church the former Canadians had built in 1836 in anticipation of his arrival
In 1843 Oregon was established as a Vicariate Apostolic with Father F. N. Blanchet as the first Vicar Apostolic. In 1846 this Vicariate was erected into the Province or Archdiocese of Oregon City and then-Bishop Blanchet was promoted to the singular position of first Archbishop.
Although Oregon City was designated his See city (site of his ecclesiastical government), many of Archbishop Blanchet's "Firsts" were in St. Paul, which remained beloved to him and where he chose to be buried.
Realizing the need for formal education for the children of what is known as "French Prairie", the Jesuit community established the first Catholic boys' school in the Pacific Northwest, St. Joseph's College, in St. Paul, which opened on October 17, 1843. To promote Catholic education among the female population (both women and girls), Archbishop Blanchet sought help from a Belgian Order, the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. As a result, on September 9, 1844, six Sisters of Notre Dame opened the first convent school in Oregon, "Ste. Marie de Wallamette", in the premier Catholic center, St. Paul.
Development in Oregon remained on a fairly even keel until the famous California Gold Rush of 1849 lured much of the male constituency south, which rapidly depleted both the manpower and financial resources of this young Archdiocese, leaving it nearly bankrupt. The Jesuit boys' school closed in June of the fateful year followed by the inevitable closure of the female academy in March of 1852. However, in October of 1859 (the same year in which Oregon became a state), twelve Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary arrived in Oregon and, on November 7th of that year, opened St. Mary's Academy in Portland, the oldest, continuously operated Catholic high school in the state. (Attendance the first day was six girls: Three Catholics, 2 Jews, and one non-Catholic.) By 1861, four Holy Names Sisters also reopened the school in St. Paul formerly run by the Sisters of Notre Dame.